I need to bring in my new dog for an appointment, what can I expect?
Depending on the age of the dog and what previous veterinary care they have received this appointment will vary greatly, but as a general rule this is what you can expect for a new dog over 6 months of age, but less than 7 years old.
Complete exam – check from nose to tail including:
– Checking eyes, ears, mouth and teeth
– Heart and lung Sounds
– Feel abdomen
– Check temperature
– Weight check
– Fecal analysis to check for intestinal parasites
– Discuss home dental care
– Discuss any questions or concerns
– Update any vaccines : Rabies, Distemper (DHPP), Lyme, Bordetella (if needed)
– Heartworm blood test, includes screening for tick borne diseases ( if needed)
– Dispense Interceptor for heartworm prevention (if needed)
– Dispense Vectra 3D for flea and tick treatment and prevention (if needed)
– Discuss and schedule spay/neuter (if needed)
*Your pet may need a follow up appointment to booster vaccines. This is usually done 2 weeks after the initial appointment and there typically isn’t an office visit fee.